“All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.”
Remember when Jack Torrance wrote that over and over and over and over in The Shining after having been shut up all winter in that hotel? Are you empathizing with him? Well, to keep you from completely losing your mind, we’ve got some ideas for you to de-stress while you are cooped up at home with the whole family during the great COVID-19 quarantine of 2020.
Look, Mom, we’ve got you covered with some cool ways to relax.
- Get outside. You may be in a state where there is a “shelter at home” order, but that doesn’t stop you from going out in the backyard and getting some sun. You’ve been inside all winter with its lack of sunshine anyway. The light will do wonders for your mental state and not to mention the vitamin D your body will generate is good for you.
- While you’re out there, get some exercise. Pick up some heavy things and walk around the yard for a bit. Do some jumping jacks and burpees. All these things will get the blood flowing which will help you from becoming unnecessarily sessile and it will boost your mood as well. You always feel accomplished once a workout is complete.
- Treat yo’ self. Indulge a little bit. We’re not talking about pounding a gallon of Rocky Road (even though that sounds amazing) but there’s no need to completely deprive yourself of some delights when, let’s face it, there are precious few delights about being stuck at home all day every day. Get some of your favorite foods at the grocery store. Binge watch some of those shows you’ve wanted to start. Whatever it is, do it because it’ll make you feel a little bit more human.
- Make something. There are all kinds of video tutorials online if you’ll look for them. You could do an online cooking class, or learn how to build something in the garage, or learn to dance, or nearly anything else you could think of. Heck, spring for a month of Masterclass and watch as many of those as possible.
- Connect with others. Take a break from social media memes and lists. Instead, pick up the phone and call someone. Text a friend you haven’t spoken to in a while or invite a group of friends to participate in a Google hangout. Just talking and laughing with your friends will do you a world of good.
We know you need a moment. Take a few to clear your mind!